Thursday, January 26, 2012

Freelance Writing Advice- How Much Time Should You Spend Writing

Right now my schedule is absolutely filled with writing. If I'm not doing freelance content writing work, I'm working on one of a dozen other projects, so the question stands- how much time should you actually spend writing during the day?

The answer really depends on the type of writing you are doing. For example, I started out using some bid sites like Guru and Freelancer to find most of my first clients, and as a result I was physically writing for at least five or six hours every day. I was getting paid extremely low rates ($3 for 500 words) and I had to write fast, and write a lot, if I wanted to come out with enough money at the end of the month to pay rent and buy food. Most of these clients ran content mills, so I was churning out articles for link building and such that didn't require much research.

Eventually I began to get referrals from my writing, and I was able to dictate a higher price for the time that I spent on writing. I was getting paid more per word, so I had to write fewer words in order to make ends meet. I still wrote for at least 4 hours throughout the day, but only because I'm a workaholic and wanted to get as much done as fast as possible. I mean, why not? The more money the better!

Somewhere in the middle of all this I started to write for other sources as well, some of which didn't pay much, if anything, right off the bat. I set up a freelance writing blog to track everything I was doing, and I started writing articles for sites that offered an Adshare program, like Triond. Because of this, I was spending at least 8 hours a day in front of the computer, and most of that was either writing or promoting my articles.

Right now I'm about steady at 8 hours per day. I set a schedule for the time that I need to work on projects for clients, and after that I delegate the remaining hours to work that needs to be done in other aspects. For example, if my Hubscore is falling, I'll make it a point to publish another hub. If my Adsense revenue is going down from one location, I'll write a few more articles for that site or blog and then promote what I write there.

In the end, the time you put into writing depends on what you want to get out of it. Making money online is not going to be easy for anybody. If you put the time into it, you'll start to see results. I say if you have a blog, write at least one post per day. If you use sites like Triond or Hubpages, write at least one article a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment