Sunday, March 11, 2012

How Fast Can You Read? Reading Speed Test

How Fast Can You Read?

As a writer I'm always reading. Whatever I can get my hands on is usually enough, but I've never known how fast I can read. I came across this awesome reading speed test earlier today and tried it out a few times. There are only 3 snippets of writing that you can test reading speed with (I'd be at it all day if there were more), but it gives you a good idea of how fast you can read.

On average I can read between 619 words per minute and 811 words per minute, which puts me between a high level executive and a high scoring college student. At 811 words per minute reading speed, I can apparently read 224% faster than the national average, and if I was to keep up that same reading speed throughout the whole book, I would be able to read:


War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy in 12 hours, 4 minutes
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling in 1 hour, 35 minutes
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien in 9 hours and 50 minutes

I've read two of those books actually, and I'm pretty sure I didn't manage it that fast. 

Anyway, enough about me! Try it out for yourself and post your results in the comments section below.


No comments:

Post a Comment